Treat Yourself with Biobased Cosmetics

Feb. 13, 2018

Our third installment of the Sustainable Substitute series features cosmetic brands that are making a sustainable impact. Just three of many brands looking to make a sustainable difference are LUSH, L’Oréal, and EcoTools.

LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics® has made many sustainability efforts and all of their products are 100% vegetarian, meaning they are mostly made from plant materials. LUSH® uses rapeseed oil to make most of their products in an effort to be more sustainable. They also believe in reducing package waste by producing 35% of their products with no packaging at all. The other 65% are packaged using recycled materials.

L’Oréal®, the largest cosmetics company in the industry, is also reducing their environmental footprint. In 2013, L’Oréal® launched “Sharing Beauty With All” to advance sustainability from sourcing and manufacturing to packaging. 22% of their products come from renewable plant sources like quinoa, used in skin exfoliating products. Their products include packaging made from mostly recycled materials or refillable options. By 2022, L’Oréal® hopes to provide information about their sustainable impact on all of their products.

EcoTools® is another company that makes environmentally friendly products. All of their makeup brushes are made from renewable bamboo, recycled aluminum, and plastic. Their packaging is made from 100% Tree-Free paper. They accomplish their packaging by using 20% cotton and 80% bamboo. EcoTools® even has products featured in the USDA’s Biopreferred® Catalog.

Biobased products provide a sustainable substitute to petroleum-based products and help reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Use #BiobasedLifestyle to follow the campaign and to show us what biobased products you’re using to create a more sustainable future.


Sustainable Substitute is a series centered around providing education about sustainable products for every day use. This article was written by Kaitlyn Evans, OBIC Student Assistant and Sophomore at The Ohio State University.